Friday, December 11, 2009

Starter Problem?

Leslie in asked:
When I go to start our standard transmission, occasionally there will be no response whatsoever. No clicking, nothing. So, I make sure I have the clutch in all the way and try again. When it decides to do this, it takes a few tries before I get a response, and then it will start normally. It doesn't seem like the starter because there's no clicking sound. Is it the clutch? Or something else??

Leon (Transmission Exchange) replied:
Thank you for the great question. It always helps to have the year make and model of what we are working on. It is also helpful to know where you live (city and state). All of that can have a bearing on giving you the best answer. My guess right now is that you may have a corrosive connection between your battery and the battery cables. The cable needs to be removed from the battery and the surface on the inside of the cable needs to be down to bare metal and the battery post needs to be shiney clean. Cold weather effects that connection if it is corroded.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Sorry, Dad. That was me, Leslie in CO. It is a Hyundai Elantra 2003 :). Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

My 1999 Caravan has started making a knocking noise when I am decelerating. It is usually most pronounced at about 40 mph. It sounds like somebody is hitting the floorboards with a hammer. I assume this is a problem with my drivetrain as it is rhythmic and increases and decreases with acceleration or deceleration respectively.

Anonymous said...

Question: When having the timing belt replaced, do I need to have them replace the timing belt tensioner and the timing belt idler? I have a 2003 Subaru Outback. Thanks.

Brent from Minnesota